Thursday, June 25, 2009
Saturday, June 20, 2009
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
I can truthfully say that I am loving this project. I have finally adjusted to stitching on the larger weave linen. And I have just worked out why my Angel's face is looking longer and thinner than the chart and project picture - my linen has an uneven weave. Horizontally there are 13 stitches to the inch, vertically there are 11. Luckily I am always extra cautious when cutting my fabric, and leave loads more than I think I need - so I will have enough fabric length.
The colours are so different from the demo pic that came with the chart. Of course, as soon as I kitted it up I knew that the demo pic colours weren't right - there were no floss shades that matched the colours on the pic. I really do prefer the actual colours I'm stitching, so that's good.
I'm going to keep stitching the Angel till she's finished. Then I will get back to Jolly Old Fellow.
Saturday, June 13, 2009
My plan was to stitch on the Angel for half the week and HAED Jolly Old Fellow for the other half of each week. So far, that's just not happening. I just can't put the Angel away yet. I'll stitch on her for the next week, and then decide what to do with the two projects. The thought that the Angel will be finished this year keeps flitting through my head. I'd like to get her to the framer by the beginning of September, to ensure I will get her back early November at the latest. My framer is excellent, but works to his own schedule, and speed isn't his best thing.
So, there's every chance I will stitch on the Angel till she's finished, then go back to JOF. So much for my first rotation!
Saturday, June 6, 2009
Thursday, June 4, 2009
I have started Angel of Hope. Twice. The first fabric was beautiful - 28 count Jobelan in waterlily. I loved the fabric, and stitching on it wasa joy, but there is so much white in the angel, and the white wasn't showing up clearly on the fabric. So I unpicked it, and started agan on a piece of blue-gray 25 count linen I had in my stash. The colour is good, and the white shows up well, but because of the size of the fabric I needed for such a large count, it didn't fit on my lap-frame. I tried folding over the edges, but it was too bulky, and I had problems with the tension. So, I resorted to finding another pair of stretcher bars, cutting them down to fit my floor frame, and putting the Angel on my floor frame. So now I will be rotating the projects on my floor frame, which is something I was trying to avoid. I suppose the good thing about that is that the floor frame doesn't have to be stored while I'm working on the Angel. And the lap-frame is now back in the craft room.
I'm not used to stitching over 2 on 25 count, and I'm finding I'm slow to adjust to it. It's certainly different to stitching JOF over 1 on 22 count! I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon. So far I've stitched the tip of one wing, and I think I've done at least twice the stitching that is now left on the fabric - and I'm not at all fond of frogging!
OK - that's the whingeing over for the day. I'm off to stitch for a while on my Angel - I may have a pic to put up later today.
Monday, June 1, 2009
Page 7 is now finished. Yay! It was the easiest page so far, as it did have such large blocks of solid colour to stitch. I am looking forward to working on page 8, as it will have some reds, pinks and whites to stitch. But first I'll have a few days break from JOF, and get started on my Angel of Hope. The floss I was waiting on arrived today, and I am just about to start sorting it out and getting the fabric ready. I've decided to use the 28 count Waterlily evenweave I had in my stash. I think the whites and creams of the angel's dress and wings will show up well on the waterlily fabric. So, I'm off - I have exciting things to do ...