Come visit with me as I stitch and craft my way from one Christmas to the next - I like to have Christmas projects close by me all year. I have a particular fondness for Santas and Angels. If you have the time, leave a comment so I know you've visited.

Friday, December 17, 2021

Advent Blog Hop - 18th December

 The Advent Blog Hop is always my favourite of the year. Once again it is being hosted by Jo at Serendipitous Stitching. Pop over there to find the doors that lead to the rest of the Advent posts. Jo has assigned me Day 18. Just one week now to the Big Day.

Christmas is my favourite time of the year, and I spend most of my leisure time stitching Christmas projects and/or Christmas gifts. This year I finished my largest Christmas cross stitch, HAED Christmas Dreams. I may be a trifle biased, but I think it is so beautiful!  I'm showing it here because it does have two beautifully decorated Christmas trees, and the topic Jo has given us for this year is our Christmas trees.



Christmas Dreams hangs in my craft room during the year. It should be downstairs now, decorating the house, along with the other 30+ framed Christmas cross stitched projects,  Christmas trees, hundreds of angels, around 1000 Santas, a good number of snow persons, and more Nativities than any one person needs.  They are all still packed away safely in their cupboards, trunks, and boxes.  This year I decided not to decorate for Christmas, as a result of the COVID situation. As I write this, my hometown is a COVID 'hot spot'.  I usually get a lot of Christmas visitors, and most are young children and their parents.  Children are not yet offered COVID vaccination here. I hope by next Christmas the  children will be protected, and the threat of  COVID will be diminished.  I am already planning my 2022 Christmas.


I stitched this L&L  Christmas Tree 15 years ago, but it is still one of my absolute favourites. I do have quite a lot of favourites.


I live in Australia, and here Christmas is a summer event. It is HOT.  Real Christmas trees are available if you really go looking for them, and I do remember having real trees at Christmas when I was a very young child (which is a very long time ago) but  they didn't survive well in the heat, and my family switched to artificial trees when they became available in the 1950s. I have never switched back to real trees, though I do love the look and smell of real Christmas trees. I like vintage items, and a lot of my Christmas items started their life in someone else's house, and came to me after they were discarded by the original owners, including my artificial trees.  Usually I have at least five large Christmas trees  scattered through the house: my 1950s tree decorated with treasures given to me by others; my 1970s tree decorated with dark red and gold ornaments;  two 1980s trees  one decorated with angels, red, and white ornaments, and the other decorated with stitched and beaded ornaments I have made; and my two dowelling hanging trees, one decorated with angels and the other with Santas. I treasure my ornaments, and enjoy getting them out of their boxes, and then packing them away safely after Christmas. I always get a couple of new ones each year to add to my collection. My 1950s tree has a vintage star topper, the 1970 and 1980 trees have angels on top.  The dowelling trees have a Santa or Angel at the top.


I usually spend the month of November cleaning, packing away the regular decor and decorating the house for Christmas, and from December 1 to Christmas Eve I have lots of Christmas visitors. I often start taking down Christmas trees late on Christmas Day, and by New Year's Day I usually have removed all the Christmas items and returned the house to its usual state.


I am indulging myself by putting in a picture of my Angel tree, despite the fact that it is not on display this year.  


And my Santa tree:




This year I have just one decorated tree. It's one of my 1980s trees ( the one that I found in the first place I looked). The decorations that would normally be on that tree are still packed away safely (they could be in any number of storage places), so I have put on the tree the beaded angels and stitched ornaments I had made in the past 2 years, which were conveniently in a box in my craftroom, and some icicle ornaments I had bought at garage sales during the year. I found a vintage angel (another garage sale treasure acquired this year) to pop on the top.




I also have an Advent tree that I made for myself about 25 years ago. I actually made quite a few of these for friends and family members.  The Advent Tree is another one of my favourites.  It is about 60cm (2') tall.  I bought the unpainted craftwood tree shape and the wooden stars. I painted the tree, and painted each star with a Santa on one side, and gold spattered red paint on the other side. Then I hung the stars on tiny gold nails, with the red side showing. Each day in December I turn over one star to show the Santa.  This is my Advent Tree today (18 Santas showing).




I can't finish without showing a photo of my Christmas tree ornaments, just because I love making them. These are the ornaments left in my take-home gift basket. If you would like to go in the draw for one of these  just let me know in a comment, and it would be helpful if you let me know if you'd prefer a heavily beaded or scantily beaded one. I'll do the draw on Christmas Day.




I hope your Christmas is a happy one, and that 2022 brings for all of us a less COVID-effected year.  Special thanks to Jo for being such a great host for GG and all the blog hops during the year. MERRY CHRISTMAS!


18 comments:

A Patchwork of Crafts said...

Thank you for sharing about your trees and decorations, sounds like you have a lot of fun and they give you a great deal of pleasure. I would be delighted to be included in your draw and the heavily beaded trees look great.

Clare-Aimetu said...

Your post has made me feel very Christmasey. I find it sad that you are not putting up your trees but I can understand why and send you a huge Christmas hug from here in the UK. I'd love to be considered for one of your ornaments if you are posting overseas. Wishing you a safe, happy and peaceful Christmas 🎄

diamondc said...

Elfie: I like your trees and decorations; they are so much fun to see, I love your Angel and Santa trees, super cute idea.

Merry Christmas
Catherine

linny said...

Love your Santa & Angel trees. I collect Christmas trees of all types so I would love to go in the draw for a heavily beaded one.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in the Advent Calendar this year. I love your wall trees, such a great way to fit a lot of ornaments in a small space!
I do wish I could come and visit and see all the decorations in person but in the mean time it would be lovely to own one of your little tree ornaments. I actually like the more sparsely decorated ones as I can see the stitching under the beads!

FlashinScissors said...

So sorry to hear you aren’t putting all your decorations up this year.
Loved reading about your different trees!
I’d love to be considered for one of your beaded trees if you are posting overseas, they are so beautiful!
I’m amazed by all your beautiful stitching.
Wishing you a safe and healthy Christmas.
Barbara xx

Sandy said...

thank-you for sharing your story of what you normally do for Christmas and it is sad to know that christmas for you as for many will be so limited this year.

I would love to be considered for your drawing :) I'm good with heavily or scant beading, I just love home made ornaments and I'm hoping that the girls put some of my favorite on the tree at our home in KY :) Was looking at my smaller needlepoints and decided I need to get busy and get them done for future trees.

jocondine said...

No visitor this year, so sad ; well maybe you'll have to make a movie for a virtual visit for all of us. I hope you'll stay safe during this Covid crisis. Thanks for sharing those Christmas stories and for the chance of getting one of your beaded trees. This year with Jo's blog hop, it's like flipping through the pages of a Christmas book and it's great to read each day lovely family stories about the trees. Merry Christmas! Joyeuses fêtes de Noël ! Amicalement. xxx

RONI said...

Thank you for sharing your memories and stories with us, as well as the very impressive stitching. I'd be delighted to be in your draw, I like both styles of your ornaments equally!

Mary's Thread said...

Christmas Dreams is GORGEOUS! What a fantastic piece! It is so fun to see some of your Christmas decor. Your house must be so magical for all your guests. I have always admired your beaded tree ornaments and would love to be in the drawing for a more fully beaded one. Merry Christmas Elfie!

Denise :) said...

Wow ... just wow!! Your Christmas Dreams piece is just fantastic. If you spend a lot of time in your sewing room (and I suspect you do), then that's the perfect place to keep it!! Your Christmas Tree stitchery is beautiful, too! I loved, loved seeing all your trees ... what fun to decorate and enjoy!! I have to say, your beaded ornaments are scrumptious ... just scrumptious. What a treat! I'd love a more heavily beaded ornament! Merry Christmas to you!!! :)

beadgirl said...

Oh, wow, your trees are lovely! I'd love to be considered for a tree ornament (heavily beaded) if you are willing to ship to the US.

Merry Christmas!

Astrids dragon said...

Sorry to hear you're not fully decorating this year, but at least you have that STUNNING piece to display, it's gorgeous! Your Christmas tree with the children is adorable.
That's a lot of trees to decorate, and your angel and Santa trees are amazing. The 80's tree you did put up looks lovely. Your advent tree is just precious.
I would love to enter your drawing for a scantily beaded ornament if you're posting to the states.
Happy Christmas!

Rachel said...

I always love seeing your heavily-decorated house at Christmas and am in complete awe of the time and effort you spend each year on making it a truly magical place. Even this year, with just Santa and the one tree, it still looks amazing!
I would love to be entered into your beaded-tree draw and would be happy with either.
Belated Merry Christmas, and here's to more straight-forward 2022. :)

Rachel said...

Ooops, realised I missed the deadline for the draw. Early congratulations to the winner though! :)

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

I enjoyed reading about your different Christmas trees and ornaments. I hope you had a good Christmas.

Sheryl said...

Elfie, your trees and ornaments are really lovely, gorgeous Santa tree, maybe I should start some Santas for my tree next year. Very generous draw which unfortunately I couldn´t take part in as I was away travelling. Congrats to the winner. Happy New Year.

Leonore Winterer said...

I'm sorry covid put a halt to your Christmas ambitions, but I get it - wasn't feeling very Christmas-y this year myself. Your trees are gorgeous, and your house on a regular Christmas sounds like a real Christmas wonderland!