Come visit with me as I stitch and craft my way from one Christmas to the next - I like to have Christmas projects close by me all year. I have a particular fondness for Santas and Angels. If you have the time, leave a comment so I know you've visited.

Friday, January 28, 2022

Smalls SAL - January

 It's the last Friday in January, so it's time for the monthly Smalls SAL report, hosted by Mary at Mary's Thread.

 In January I made a good start on my 2022 stitching list. I stitched and finished 17 Christmas ornaments, and I also stitched another five designs to be made up into Christmas ornaments.

These four teddy ornaments are for the 2 year olds on my gift list. Dale Burdett's Santa Teddy is a favourite of mine, and I always enjoy stitching it.





The LA Santa Alphabet (from 'Alphabets Galore' book) is also a design I love to stitch. I do make a few little changes to the charted design.  And I always stitch the child's name and the year on the ornament - it's on the ornament back if you can't see it on the front.






I found this Susan Bates  wreath alphabet last year in a 2019 magazine  'Enjoy Cross Stitching at Christmas' Issue 22, and I used it to make ornaments for one group of 9 siblings and first cousins. These ornaments are for another set of siblings and first cousins, from the other side of the family. The children's given names are stitched on the back of the ornament. 





The other five designs I have stitched are angels. Four are inspired by L& L's 1986 Angel freebie, the Amish Angel. I say 'inspired' because I have made some changes. I replaced the cap with hair, altered the face, and the dress style, replaced the garland with hanging stars, and added backstitching. The wings and sleeves remain as charted. 








This angel is pretty much as charted, apart from some floss changes, a few added beads, and added backstitching. It is L& L's 1987 Christmas Angel freebie. The colours are not true in this photo - the fabric is a pale cream.




I am quite pleased with my January stitching. I can't say the same about 2022, unfortunately. We are only 28 days into the year, and already it has brought major disruption to my household. We are entering our third fight with cancer in 10 years. My partner has been diagnosed with a brain tumour. It's early days, and right now we are in the waiting phase - waiting for appointments, waiting for information, waiting for treatment options.  Stitching is my 'go to' stress reduction technique, and I have really been abusing it!  




10 comments:

Clare-Aimetu said...

I'm so sorry to hear your partner has cancer, huge hugs to you both and I hope the scans and appointments are not long to wait with positive outcomes.

You amaze me with all your stitching, you've certainly been busy in January.

Annie said...

I'm so sorry to read about your sad news <3. Crafting can really be a comfort when life is hard. I'm amazed by all the projects you have finished lately; they are gorgeous!

Mary said...

I am sorry to hear about your partner's cancer. Your stitching and finishing is so pretty.

Cathy said...

I'm sorry to hear about your partner's cancer, but I love all of your stitching. You amaze me with your turbo needle!

Rachel said...

So sorry to read about the sad news; will be hoping for fast appointments and successful treatment.
But wow to how much you have already stitched. The wreath alphabet is fast becoming my favourite! :)

Faith... said...

Oh Lynne, I am so very sorry to hear about your partner's diagnosis. Praying that it was caught early enough so it can be completely eliminated. I will be praying for you both along with the doctors.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Lynne, I'm sorry to read of your partner's cancer. I hope that it has been 'caught' early and his treatment will be successful.
On a different note, you had a productive stitching January.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

So sorry to hear about your partner. Modern medicine can work wonders so hopefully there will be a good outcome.
Stitching really does help reduce stress levels and take our minds off things.
Just wondering, do you keep a record of who receives which design each year, or is your blog the record?

Elfie said...

Jo, I used to be able to remember what I had stitched each year, but my memory isn't what it used to be, and I am stitching for more than 70 people these days. I now have an indexed book with a page for each family, a row for each year and a column for each person. So far it's working well. I refer back to the blog if my book entry isn't as descriptive as I thought it was when I was recording it.

Mary's Thread said...

You are off to an amazingly productive start on your ornaments this year! What wonderful variety yet they all do go together with your "tag" finishing style. I am so sorry to hear that cancer has struck your family. I will pray that he is able to pull through. Guess what?? I received my gift ornament from you last night! It is even more gorgeous in person. All my family are impressed by it and it will have pride of place on our tree next year. Well, in fact it already does as I hung it on my seasonal ornament display which had an empty spot this month so I can enjoy it right away! Thank you SO much. I will treasure it.