Come visit with me as I stitch and craft my way from one Christmas to the next - I like to have Christmas projects close by me all year. I have a particular fondness for Santas and Angels. If you have the time, leave a comment so I know you've visited.

Thursday, May 14, 2020

Gifted Gorgeousness report for May


It's May 15 - time for the monthly Gifted Gorgeousness (GG) Report. Jo at Serendipitous Stitching hosts GG.  Anything that is stitched to be gifted, or is stitched with gifted supplies, qualifies for the GG report.

I have no Christmas ornaments to show this month. Hopefully there will be a few next month. I do have some gift stitching, though.  have stitched a birth sampler for my newest great nephew. I used the same dinosaur alphabet (designer Clare Cromoton) I had used for his first cousin's birth sampler a few years ago. I am hoping that my framer will be able to re-open his business soon so I can get it framed for his first birthday in September. I had intended to use the dinosaur alphabet for his second name, but I was limited by the size limits of my lap-frame, so I reduced the letter size and eliminated the dinosaurs to fit his second name on the fabric width I was using. I added the dinosaurs on the bottom row for balance. I was quite happy with the result. The photo really doesn't do it justice. The fabric is a pale blue 28 count evenweave.




My second piece is an unfinished name sampler for another young great-nephew. I have just one more letter to stitch - the B to make the name Boden. I'm using Allura's Australian Alphabet (designer Guy Hayes) for this one.  For non-Aussies, the O is a native orchid, the D is a Delicate Mouse, the E is an echidna, and the N is a numbat. The B will be a brolga (a native bird). Again, the photo is not great. The fabric is the same pale blue evenweave I used for George's birth sampler. I used DMC floss instead of the charted floss, and changed floss colours  in some of the letters.



I'm working my way through my 2020 stitching list. Just one more name sampler (for Boden's sister Niva) and a few Christmas ornaments left. I am starting to think about bringing my HAED Christmas Dreams out to the stitching corner. It's been a long time since it saw the light of day. My memory is pretty hazy, but I think it's over 3 years since I have touched it. I can recall stitching on it in February or March 2017, but not since then.  It's about 30% finished, so there's a lot of stitching waiting to be done.  

11 comments:

Clare-Aimetu said...

Lovely stitching, I don't have any large projects at the moment, I love seeing them grow

Julie said...

Two lovely projects.
Boden's is so personal to Australia, thanks for the info.

Cathy said...

Lovely projects and so personalized. I remember seeing your Santa stitch, but didn't realize it had been that long!

Faith... said...

I love the Dinosaur birth samplers! I am sure the kids will enjoy seeing their names with the dinosaurs too.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

These are terrific gifts. They will be cherished for many years.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in GG this month. I love both these Name Samplers but the Australian one is particularly special. Thanks for the explanation of the letters too!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

ps here is the last time you blogged about Christmas Dreams! I used the Search box to find it.

https://elfinstitches.blogspot.com/2018/11/gifted-gorgeousness-report-for-november.html

Elfie said...

Wow - I had totally forgotten I got Christmas Dreams out in 2018! In my defence, it wasn't out for long - I didn't even finish the page I was working on! I did have other priorities at the time!

jocondine said...

Your birth samplers looks great, I love the Australian alphabet! Amitiés. xxx

Annie said...

Beautiful stitching! It all looks amazing:D

Tiffstitch said...

Those are excellent name samplers! And good luck with your to-do list to get to your HAED. I'm so in love with mine now that pattern keeper exists, it's made stitching them work for me.