Come visit with me as I stitch and craft my way from one Christmas to the next - I like to have Christmas projects close by me all year. I have a particular fondness for Santas and Angels. If you have the time, leave a comment so I know you've visited.

Thursday, October 28, 2021

Smalls Report for October


Time for the October Smalls report - boy, has that snuck up on me! I really can not believe how quickly this year has disappeared. The Smalls SAL is hosted by Mary at Mary's Thread, on the last Friday of each month.


I have just a few Smalls to show this month.  These Christmas ornaments just grew as I stitched.  They bring to 100 the total number of Christmas ornaments I have stitched this year.






I can't resist showing my final batch of beaded angels for 2021. They bring my angel total for this year to 77.  Some off these angels will go into the tiny stocking Christmas ornaments I have made for family and friends this year. 





I may need a shoe-horn for the next project. The question is how small is a Small? This design measures 7" wide and 5" tall, and after a lot of deliberation I decided to include it. Each of the elements in it is indeed small.




For Bronte's birth sampler I used Lesley Teare's Ballerina Alphabet (David & Charles book, 'Cross Stitch Alphabets', 2003). I separated the ballerinas from their letters, changed the floss colours, and changed the backstitching. When I decided to stitch this I was in a dilemma because we were in lockdown, and all 'non-essential' shops were closed.  I had already used up all my evenweave, and knew from recent experience that the earliest I could expect a postal delivery of fabric was 2 weeks. I felt so lucky when a frantic search of the craft storage unearthed a huge piece of Aida 18. I used to stitch a lot on Aida 18 decades ago, before I found evenweave and linen.  Stitching this design taught me that I no longer enjoy stitching on Aida 18, particularly when there are a lot of fractional stitches in the design.  The good news is that using 18 count brought the size down to 7" x 5", which means I can frame it myself in a purchased frame.



It's unlikely that I will be stitching any more Smalls this year (unless I get the urge to start on my 2022 ornament list), so this could be my final Smalls report for 2021. I have really enjoyed participating in the Smalls SAL again this year.  Mary, thank you for hosting.






5 comments:

diamondc said...

Elfie: I love your angel trinkets so pretty.
Your Ornaments are lovely, nice finishing.
The Sampler is adorable, I like how you separated the ballerinas.
Nice post.

Catherine

Faith... said...

The birth sampler is so pretty. I am quite impressed with you 100 stitched plus the additional ornaments you completed this year. That is dedication!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Lovely to see the final ornaments and all the little angels.
The Birth Sampler is lovely too.

Mary's Thread said...

My goodness what GORGEOUS ornaments! You are the queen of sparkly ornaments, Elfie! I always love seeing your work! The Ballerina sampler is lovely too! She will surely enjoy that!

Rachel said...

So many gorgeous ornies and angels! I think a miniature tree decorated with 77 angels (if you kept them all!) would look stunning. Two months to rest now before starting all over again for 2022! :)