Come visit with me as I stitch and craft my way from one Christmas to the next - I like to have Christmas projects close by me all year. I have a particular fondness for Santas and Angels. If you have the time, leave a comment so I know you've visited.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A stressful day

Such a stressful day! We picked Ellie up from the vet at 3pm, and brought her home. The vet said sh had bitten her tongue during the op, and her tongue was swollen and protruding from her mouth. Apart from that, everything looked OK, given that Ellie was still very drowsy after the anaesthetic. We drove home and we;s been home only about 10 minutes when she started having problems breathing and she started bleeding from the mouth. She was panting extremely fast and gurgling - very scary. We took her back to the vet, and to cut a long (very anxious) story short, she had to have an injection to reverse the effects of the long-acting opiate she'd been given, then have another anaesthetic to suture a bleeding tooth socket. Poor little baby. She's much better now, very settled and breathing easily, no further bleeding at all. Her tongue is still swollen and protruding, but even that is settling slowly. Ellie's the one in the jacket, the other baby (the one actually on the cushion) is my Madalyn, whose nose is severely out of joint because Ellie is getting all the attention. It wasn't my idea for Ellie to lie in the position she chose, next to my chair. But I left her there as the vet said to have her head lower than her body if possible, and that's just how she arranged herself. If she continues to be settled I may even consider taking us all up to bed soon - a few hours ago I thought I'd need to sit up with her all night.

No stitching has been happening in my house today!

4 comments:

Cindy F. said...

Oh my gosh! I was sitting on the edge of my seat almost in panic!! I'm sooo glad to hear she is ok! Hugs to both your precious babies!

Annie Bee said...

I am soo glad that Ellie is recovery. They are just precious. Hugs

Yoyo said...

Isn't it wonderful how animals will settle themselves in the position the doctor told you to make sure she is in. Their instincts are so good. So happy to hear the sweetie is comfortable and doing well.

Marie said...

Poor Ellie. I'm so glad she's doing so much better. These 4 legged babies are every bit as worrying as the 2 legged variety!