Come visit with me as I stitch and craft my way from one Christmas to the next - I like to have Christmas projects close by me all year. I have a particular fondness for Santas and Angels. If you have the time, leave a comment so I know you've visited.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

My first milestone reached ...

I have just placed the final stitches in page 1 of Jolly Old Fellow. Major HD for me! I'll be back later to put in a progress pic.

I have to admit to being a trifle disappointed with the floss coverage. I prefer a fuller coverage of the fabric. I guess that's because when I started stitching I used 18 count Aida and 2 strands of floss, and that covered the fabric well. I obviously got used to a full coverage. I've used 1 strand before when stitching on 22 count and didn't notice any problem, but those items were smaller, background not stitched, and most probably dark blue (not my favourite colour!) didn't feature heavily in the designs. I'm going to persevere with the 1 strand of floss for the sky, but I think for the Santa I'll switch to 3 or 4 strands of floss and tent(continental?) stitch. I'm going to trial a few variations before I start stitching, and see what pleases me most.

1 comment:

Yoyo said...

Congratulations!!! Boy I know that first page is a big milestone on a HAED piece. I'm doing my Atlantis on 22 ct hardanger using 2 strands and it's absolutely full coverage. there is definitely no fabric showing through. About one inch of the bottom is plain cross stitch but from there up I began using continental and I like it very well. Don't tell DH I changed my stitch right in the middle of the design, he's thinks my stitching is 'perfect' and I don't want to disillusion him (LOL). I don't think there would be enough room in the fabric for 3 or 4 strands when every single hole is filled with thread. The stitches are pretty tight with only 2 strands on mine.